Saturday, March 10, 2012

Rides that make you go hmmm

The rain returned this weekend.  I got up at 7 and saw that the forecast predicted little chance of rain until 1pm. After checking the wind on Marine Drive wasnt gale force I decided to finish what I started last Sunday. Larch Mountain.

While I was getting ready I was thinking about similarities between mountaineering and long distance road cycling.  I did some climbing a few years ago and have had a life long interest in wilderness survival skills.  When preparing for my trip today I had 3 small pockets to carry whatever I would need for an 80mile trek. I stashed my jacket, hat and toe warmers knowing how cold the descent from the mountain would be.  I took some extra food, my holy trinity of electrolyte tablets, mylanta and advil, and a small pump.  Tire repair kit, an extra tube and a multi tool were in my saddle bag.  Survival skills indeed!

Heading out to Marine drive I was appreciating the ride of my Cervelo after a winter of riding on my rain bike.  I fell in love with cycling on my Specialized Sequia (Elite!) but having a really sweet carbon bike makes me want to take cycling home to meet my family and move in together.

Along the bike path I saw a heron!


No no, not a herring, a HERON.  Like a heron hidden in the moon.

I enjoyed riding someone off my wheel further down Marine Drive. He latched on around Blue Lake park and yelled something before falling off into the dark abyss.  It was drizzly but not really soaking wet. The weather kept most of the motorists off the highway so I had a fairly quiet ride out to the Gorge.

"Mountaineering is the only sport where you celebrate at half time"

As I headed up Larch the rain picked up.  I had started to feel that inner thigh ache that comes with long miles for the first time this year. Its like a badge of honor!  As I got up around mile 5 I noticed a lot of the snow from last week had melted, but at about mile 7 there started to be icy spots on the road.  I wondered if it would be like this in the Alps.  I also started to think about how much at risk I was, being up there alone in the cold, wet, slippery and little cell phone coverage refuge of the forest.  I turned around just past mile 8 as the road got more treacherous and my gloves had soaked through from the rain I hadnt expected.

Annnd thats about enough. Turned around here




On the way down my fingers seared with pain.  I was concentrating on the road, looking for iced over spots and gingerly picking my way across some snowy patches.  My fingers felt like they were on fire.  Once I got out of the snow I started slapping my hands on my thighs to get them to warm up.  Fortunately the temperature was rising rapidly as I descended but the rain was still coming down pretty heavy, and all I had was a windbreaker.

Back down on the highway headed for town. I had 30miles to get home. With still another 10 of downhill to go I was a pretty miserable drowned rat at this point.  I kept thinking of being at home warm and eating and pondered if i should stop and call someone to come get me.  If i had a mechanical id probably be in a rough spot, but at least I was getting nearer and nearer to civilization.

Thankfully the rain let up when I got to Troutdale and was dry most of the way home.  My lower back hurt from climbing and my upper back and neck hurt from tensing in the cold and lifting my head up to see while descending 20+ miles.  I was ready for this ride to be over so I put my head down and focused on getting home.

81 miles later I peeled off my sopping wet clothes and had some pizza. Here's my route

http://app.strava.com/rides/5032857

How to tell youve been on a dirty ride

  1. You have dirt inside your bike shorts (also how to tell you dont have a fender)
  2. There is dirt in the washer after youve cleaned your bike clothes
  3. It takes 2hrs to clean, degrease and relube your (white) bike
Ohh such a dirty bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment