Friday, March 9, 2012

Hungry Like the Wolf, Steady as She Goes, Im Sexy and I know it

The road to the Alps is paved with biking. And food. Dear god I was so hungry for lunch today I could have eaten a horse.  I actually had to go eat because I couldnt concentrate. I also got a cramp in my leg. EAT FOOD NOW says body. OK. 

The weather this week has been magnificent so after weeks of indoor only training during the week I was finally able to get outside.  Outside = more fun, more miles and more friendly faces to ride bikes with! 

I logged about 90miles last weekend. Saturday AM I headed up Skyline via my new favorite approach, Cornell. Its a  nice long climb, which I need to work on.  Surely spring is upon us; last time I was up there a few weeks ago it was snowing, on Saturday the sun was peaking out and temps were a good 20degrees higher.

Long unrelenting climbs always bring out the demons. "Why am I doing this?" "I missed brunch for  this?" "You are completely insane to think you can climb the Alps if you are whining about this puny little hill at sea level"  I keep pedaling, alone with my thoughts.  Trying to focus on my pedal stroke or some scenery instead my mind eventually moves on.

I cut my climbing short due to concern about my recently inflammed IT band and turned around at Skyline Elementary.



I deftly dodged a wolly bear on the road.



Sunday's ride was spectacular.  I headed out about noon for the Gorge. The wind on Marine drive was merciful and the Gorge scenery didnt dissapoint.  Coming down Larch Mtn I pondered what kind of clothing Ill need to get for descending the Alps.  I own 1 long sleeve jersey that I rarely wear. Im guessing arm warmers and a windbreaker probably wont cut it.


Heres a short video of my Sunday ride:


I find myself lately obsessed with having a 6pack.  I figure Im more active now than I may ever be again. Over the last few months my legs have turned into rocks but a stubborn layer of belly fat still remains. Its interesting how attached Ive become to being physically fit and that I worry about losing it.

While Ive intensely focused on other things in life, studying engineering comes to mind, Ive never had this kind of intense focus on something physical.  I find myself struggling with the lack of social life but at the same time relishing the zen simplicity of my life.  I work, eat, sleep and train.  I know pretty much how I will spend my time and I feel at times a freedom from having to plan but also a restlessness.  Its helping me prioritize my time better; Ive realized how important it is to eat good food and how weak willed I am when it comes to eating out, so I make sure to set aside time on the weekend to make food for the week.

Im also becoming hyper aware of my body.  Right now I have a cramp in my thigh that happened right before lunch, Im wondering if Im not getting enough electrolytes.  Im monitoring a muscle ache in my right calf that happened this week, I think riding in the cold Tuesday night started it and cramping after sprint intervals Weds made it a little worse. I kept my eye on it at Tabor last night and it seems to be ok today, or at least not any more stiff than my other calf.

Its hard to balance what I want to get out of training and accepting where my body is at. Its hard not to obsess over miles, heart rate targets and elevation gained week to week.  With something as big and unknown to me as climbing the Alps I never quite know if I'm doing enough.  For now Im trying to focus on meeting myself where Im at physically, mentally and emotionally on a day to day basis. And enjoying the really amazing things my body is already able to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment