Thursday, March 15, 2012

Im pouty and I know it

I shall now share with you a hissy fit.

Have I mentioned that while I'm training for the Alps I'm also pursuing a major career change? So in addition to spending my days as an analog circuit designer I'm now learning the black arts of computer programming.  Yep, I really know how to pound myself into the ground!

This week was especially busy at work with some late hours required to meet a publication submission deadline.  Add to that the arrival of spring rain downpours and Ive been a bit of a crabby girl lately.  I think we in Portland have PTSD when it comes to rain; when it really lets loose (especially after an abnormally dry winter) we start threatening to move and building arks and rounding up our cats, 2 by 2.


Oh geez, really its not that bad!

And Im still feeling some effects from my IT band getting irritated last weekend.  So here on the couch I sit. Fried from work, gloomy about the weather, paranoid about the miles Im not getting in this week and ready to just take a cab to the top of the Passo Stelvio. Oh, and I hate intervals. Screw training.

In a word, it sucks.

Thank goodness for daylight savings

Coming home from work tonight there was a break in the sky.  It was around 6, now nearing 7pm and its still bright as can be outside.  And not raining!  This made me immensely happier and I had a sudden urge  to ride my bike (followed by the 'but i need to rest' voice in the back of my head..)  It reminded me of something important. Light makes me want to bike. If its light and especially if its sunny I have no motivation problems at all with getting on my bike.  I was feeling sad about having to rest tonight because I knew riding my bike would make me feel better.  Im glad to know that while Im having a momentary tantrum I still love to ride my bike.

This Saturday Im telling the rain to kiss my butt and heading for the Dalles with some awesome buddies. Im looking forward to putting in some long, hard, fun miles in the sun.

For now I am smothering my wounds with nut butter. And computational biology!

No comments:

Post a Comment