Saturday, July 21, 2012

Drizzly day in Corvara

Its looking a lot like Portland outside today so Im taking a day off the bike. Misty, foggy and fir trees is my view at the moment.  Yes indeed very much like home.



 The Posta Zirm Hotel where we are staying has an extensive "Wellness Farm" with various saunas and pools.  Im getting my bod a much needed massage this afternoon.  For now Im enjoying a leisurely morning; usually its breakfast at 7:30 and on bikes by 9, today folks sauntered down to breakfast after 8 and lingered over coffee while we waited to see what the weather was doing.

We have been pretty lucky with weather so far (fingers crossed!) and we are now half way through the tour. I think Ive ridden myself into fitness where my body is feeling pretty good and strong.  Im still figuring out how to avoid getting chilled on mountain passes.  There are refugios at the top and a lot of times the support van is there too so its easy to spend too much time snapping pics, grabbing a bite and some souvenirs.  We stopped for lunch at one yesterday after a 30km climb from Brixen (good morning legs!)




Im taking tons of pics. The vistas are incredible and the towns are quaint.  We rode through the Landin valley yesterday on our descent off the passo Erbe.  They speak a different language there than the rest of the region


After a 20k section of highway riding we arrived in the heart of the Dolomites.


The great thing about touring on bike is that you are going slow enough to really take in the scenery.  Like this milk shed I saw when I stopped on the climb yesterday



I love riding in the morning, and watching farm sprinklers.  It was very hot a few days ago and I giggled as we got sprayed while riding past a field, refreshed by the cool breeze



On our approach to Stelvio (climbing over to Bormio, first time) we rode past Lake Awesome for several km on a lovely bike path



The beautiful vistas unfold slowly on the bike and come with some feeling of accomplishment, whether its riding just a short, flat distance or up a huge mountain.  I brought myself here with my own body to experience something truly unique and special.


No comments:

Post a Comment