Monday, May 14, 2012

The Great Blue Ridge Adventure: Hello, world!

Wow the internet on my computer! Welcome back to the future.

Our grand BRP trip was aborted on Day 4 amidst truly awful weather conditions and the threat of thunderstorms the next day. One brave rider soldiered on but I was fine to quit (more on that later).  I had hoped to blog about each day as we rode but besides lack of internet access I was pretty tired each day and wanted to spend my spare moments taking the experience in rather than sitting in front of the computer.

In the end it was 3 days of great riding and 1 day of not so great riding. I learned a lot about my body.  I learned a lot about what motivates me to ride and what doesnt.  When we planned this trip out months ago I was gunning for 500mi/50,000ft to prepare for the Alps.  During this trip it became clear to me that numbers dont motivate me, enjoyment does.  It made me realize that there are probably going to be days in the Alps when I dont ride, or SAG out, in favor of riding at an enjoyable pace taking in the experience.

This was a really awesome experience.  Im excited to share my thoughts, photos and video over the next few days as I blog it out.  A lot, though, cant be captured in words or pictures. Like any grand adventure you really just need to experience it yourself.




1 comment:

  1. Yes Grasshopper, biking really IS all about savoring the experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete