Tuesday, May 15, 2012

BRP Day 1: Is it all downhill from here??

I didnt particularly want to get out of bed, not having had the most restful night, but it was time to get some breakfast before our Grand Depart from the Holiday Inn Express in Waynesboro.  The sun was shining and it was a little brisk, perfect bike riding weather.  We gathered necessities, like water and nyan cat.

The HAMMER twins Scott and Brent
the power of NYAN compels you!

While we were loading up the van a few women also checking out were checking out our spandex.  Chatting with them I found out they were driving the parkway.  When I told them we were riding the parkway in 5 days they looked somewhat astonished.

"Is it all downhill from here?"

*grins*  "Nope, about 47,000ft of climbing"

About 7 miles later we found our way to the BRP.  L-R: Kevin, Scott, me and Brent.  Photo taken by Tom

This was before anyones butt started to hurt

And so we rode.  It was exciting and beautiful. The climbing started promptly at mile 1.  The weather was sunny and cool with some fairly wicked head winds.  After the first 10 miles we regrouped to chat about how we would like to ride the trip.  The consensus was generally everyone ride their own pace and work out SAG support as needed.  I know I dont enjoy riding when i feel like i have to keep up so this was fine with me.

We had a small snafu with our SAG that day and Kevin and I got locked out of the van.  Fortunately Tom, our awesome SAG driver, anticipated our predicament and cut his ride short to come back and check on us

Disco Tom to the rescue! This happens a lot
Tom (Disco Tom) is Scott's uncle and a generally all around awesome dude.  In his early 60s, he just did the entire 470 mile BRP RAAM style (no breaks, except a few cat naps) last October.  He was telling me about an upcoming adventure race he has in the next few weeks on the trip.  He also had fond memories of the Disco era. You can get your fill of water, food and the BeeGees in Tom's SAG van.  Tom's considerate attitude and BRP expertise made him a really awesome SAG driver for our trip. We were super lucky!

The last 20 miles of the day featured a 12 mile, 3700ft climb from the lowest point on the BRP to the highest point in VA.  The mountain in the distance is the destination, the bridge is the lowest point and a few miles before the start of the climb


 I decided to treat the climb as a mini Stelvio Pass, which I will be riding in July.  So I stubbornly stayed in my 21 gear all the way up, reserving my bottom 2 gears for the Italian climb, which will climb an additional 2300ft and top out at 8000ft. I was rewarded for my stupidity, I mean, badassedness, with two fairly sore quads at the end of the day, but I was able to shake it out mid day 2.  

Almost there
Get a load of those 1-litre water bottles!


View from the top!

It was pretty darn cold up there! I hadnt thought about that in my short sleeves.  Fortunately on the descent Brent and Scott (the hammer twins) who had finished an hour before Kevin and I came looking for us in the van.  I got a vest to descend the last few miles with to Peaks of Otter where we stayed right on the BRP at this awesome place!

The Peaks of Otter!

Brent really took care of me on this trip.  Its great to have a speedy, considerate friend up the road from you to prepare clothes, recovery beverages and drugs for you to come home to.

Hammer time! Not to be confused with EPO time.
We headed to the thriving metropolis of Bedford and had dinner at the Bedford Social Club.  I got a steak that ended up providing my lunch for the next few days.  We also stopped in the local grocery store for some snacks


date night dinner specials are.. inspiring ??

CHEEZY POOFS

We all pretty much passed out after our first big day on the road, after some ice cream of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment