Friday, October 21, 2011

My other car is a chicken wing

Food with a face. Something I eat regularly. But not while looking it in the eyes.

I remember the first time I cooked chicken for myself.  The feeling of cutting through raw chicken flesh was really creepy.  I stopped.  I wondered if cutting into human flesh felt the same.  It was gross but I figured I liked eating chicken so I kept going.   After that I cooked the chicken before I cut it up.

A similar thing happened around the same time.  I haven't eaten many whole lobsters in my life but I don't think I will again.  I ordered lobster but didnt realize it was the entire animal.  While I'd had whole lobster before I always found it to be somewhat of a disconcerting experience.  For some reason especially so this time.  I couldn't deal with eating it as it watched me with its cooked eyes.

I am not vegetarian.  I eat meat regularly. Despite these occasions that I find animal products gross I continue to eat them.  Milk I've always disliked (cheese and ice cream however...) and I don't keep eggs in my fridge regularly. There are times when eggs are positively revolting to me. In general I find it bizarre that we eat these foods. Why am I eating embryos? Or equivalently sucking the teet of an animal for baby food?

Today for lunch I'm going meatless. I think maybe even vegan.  Periodically I take a meat-break. It can last for a few days or a few weeks, whatever my body seems to want.  I am struck by how different veggies look to me than meat. Meat can be exciting, but something about a delicious green salad really appeals to my senses



I was at a wing place recently and got a bumper sticker "my other car is a chicken wing."  I find these types of absurdities hilariously funny.  But the experience of eating a chicken wing, again, is also kind of gross.

Does this make me look vegan?

1 comment:

  1. Nah, not vegan. Just open-minded. I personally do not see the merits of being vegan. Vegetarian I can understand, but vegan is pushing it. There are times when I'm just in the mood for veggies. I think it's my body's way of telling me that I need to cleanse it out for a few days. But I always go back to meaty ways in a day or so. I think trying new cuisines or styles of eating is simply a good way to remind oneself that other lifestyles are valid, too.

    ReplyDelete